Stay at Dawlish Warren - get out and about in South Devon!
May we suggest the following places to visit; we give the approximate miles from Dawlish Warren.
- 0 - Coastal Path - For walking from Poole to Minehead around the coast!
- 0 - Exe Estuary Trail - NCN2 cyle route and walking dawlish to Exeter / Exmouth
- 0 - Dawlish Discovery Walk - Great circular walk - about 6 miles. See leaflet.
- 1 - Exe Estuary - For walking, boating, fishing and bird watching.
- 1½ - Dawlish - picturesque town with sandy beaches, attractive gardens, trout stream and the famous black swans.
- 2½ - Cockwood - pretty harbour and two good inns. (Link is the village hall)
- 3 - Starcross - play golf at Oak Meadow, then take the ferry to Exmouth.
- 4 - Ashcombe Adventures - Group activities, shooting, paintball, motorised activities, etc
- 5 - Powderham - a real English Castle.
- 6 - Teignmouth - a busy resort with great Playpark on the sea front & port with sea and river beaches.
- 7 - Bishopsteignton - a village with a vineyard! Enjoy the countryside with a glass of Old Walls Vineyard's best tipple and a cream tea.
- 7 - Shaldon - quaint riverside village with a par three golf course. Go on Wednesday for their `1785 Day'. Take the ferry from Teignmouth! The Wildlife Trust (small zoo) is popular too.
- 8 - Haldon Forest Park - Great cyle trails - inc "Freeride" and Butterfly Walk, "Go Ape" adventure park. Bird of Prey observation Point
- 8 - Exeter Racecourse - holds 16 jump fixtures between October and May.
- 9 - Babbacombe - who doesn't visit the Model Village?
- 9 - Exminster - All new golf driving range and 9 hole pay and play course - looks brilliant!
- 10 - Torquay - Kents Cavern for the stone age experience. Penguins and seals "Right on the beach" at Living Coasts.
- 11 - Newton Abbot - a lively, bustling market town with Wednesday market. National Hunt racecourse with a dozen summer meetings.
- 11 - Rackerhayes - popular coarse fishing ponds
- 11 - Torbay - the English Riviera resorts of Torquay, Paignton and Brixham.
- 12 - Plant World - Devon's "little outdoor Eden" - fantastic views!
- 13 - Exeter - cathedral city with maritime museum and Princesshay shopping centre plus fabulous `Riverside' indoor pool.
- 13 - Paignton - the famous Zoo and steam railway to Kingswear & Dartmouth.
- 13 - Crealy - the great adventure park. Marvellous for your little 'uns. Highly recommended.
- 14 - Rock Gardens at Chudleigh - about 8 acres of wild gardens, ponds, a Rock Walk and more..
- 14 - Prickly Ball Farm - home of the Hedgehog Hospital and.. feed the chipmunks and lambs (seasonal)...
- 14 - Trago Mills - out-of-town shopping centre with miniature railway, coarse fishing, children's entertainment's, etc. - quite unique
- 15 - Canonteign Falls - England’s highest waterfall, descending a staggering 220 ft, it is breathtaking.
- 20 - Dartmoor - National Park. Over 365 square miles of of beautiful moorlandsand villages to be explored. Bring your wellies and a compass. There are some great towns as well!
- 20 - Totnes - ancient riverside town. Have a good look around before going onto the Woodlands Adventure Park. Great for kids, wet or dry. Highly recommended.
- 20 - Buckfastleigh - visit Buckfast Abbey, the Butterfly Farm and then take a trip on the Dart Valley Steam Railway. The Pennywell farm centre is a great day out for the whole family.
- 24 - Moretonhampstead - The Miniature Pony Centre - everybody's favourite day out to the edge of the moor.
- 32 - Dartmouth - world-famous yachtsman's haven. A must for boat watchers. Try the river trip - it's fabulous!
- 35 - Dartmoor Prison Museum - Princetown, visit part of the famous prison in the old dairy.
- 41 - Plymouth - The Hoe, the Barbican, the Navy, and make sure you visit the National Marine Aquarium.
....We could go on and on for ever. Surely this is the best area in England for the variety of activities and places to enjoy - masses of free up-to-date literature and information available, with a smile from the Tourist Information Centre in Dawlish..
- Visit South Devon / Heart of Devon offer masses of info about the area too!
- "What's on and where to go" - Brilliant website about Devon tourist attractions.
For local news check out Torbay's local paper - Herald Express - and also the Exeter local paper - Express & Echo.